Acathamoeba is a corneal devouring parasite found in water. Though acanthamoeba related ocular infections in contact lens wearersare rare, the treatment of the disease is difficult as it takes a period of 27 days in confirmed diagnosis with 33% of patients requiring a corneal transplant.
Acathamoeba leads to potential damages from severe eye pain, redness and itching, stinging, discharge & even to permanent vision loss. Acanthamoeba is associated to poor and unhygienic living standards and is closely related to the exposure of contact lenses with water.
Acanthamoeba Keratitis & Disinfecting Solutions for Contact Lenses
Though the parasite leads to tremendously horrific results; it can be prevented if proper cleanliness & disinfection of contact lenses is observed. It is important to note that not all disinfectants work the same way. A multi-purpose disinfectant with cleanse, rub & disinfecting formula is effective in completely killing off the parasite.
Preventing Acanthamoeba Related Ocular Injuries in Wearers of Contact Lenses
Few key points help in complete prevention from the parasite.
- Never expose your contact lenses to water hence observe restriction in swimming, showering, washing face & other water-based activities whilst wearing contact lenses.
- Do not soak or wash your contact lenses with tap water
- Wear daily disposable contact lenses if you are clumsy to strictly follow the maintenance of contact lenses
- Replace your annual contact lenses after every 8 months whereas replacement of contact lens cases should be made every 3 months.
- Air-dry contact lens cases with their faces down and caps off after washing them. Stay very careful about re-immersing contact lenses in their cases whilst they are still wet.
The American Academy of Ophthalmology in conjunction with USFDA is soon to hold a seminar on “Contact Lens Microbiology” where the speakers will discuss the ways of prevention from acanthamoeba related ocular infections & damages in contact lens wearers. Watch this place for more updates & recent technological advancements & treatments on the issue.