It is presumed that synthetic wigs cannot be dyed; fortunately this is just a myth. All type of synthetic hair wigs can be dyed, though dying wigs made from synthetic fibers requires practice, patience & skills.
Important Things to Note When Dying Synthetic Wigs
- Synthetic wigs are made from colored plastic fibers. On the other hand, wigs made from natural hair are porous, that take color dyes more easily than synthetic wigs. Synthetic wigs should not be dyed using ordinary hair dyes, instead use acrylic paints or acrylic inks.
- Acrylic paints need huge care & practice as it often results in clumping that make wigs look very artificial. Acrylic inks though are not available in as wide range of colors as are paints, these are the best dyes to dye synthetic wigs, as they give you full control over your wig in terms of color handling.
- A wig should be left for complete air drying. If your wig is thick and long you might want to give your wig duration of 2-3 days to let it dry.
- Do not dye your synthetic wigs using dyes that include bleach. Bleaching plastic fibers of wigs may make them crinkly and misshaped. It is advised to cut a wisp out of your hair wig & test the dye swatch over it.
- Some synthetic wigs are good at holding the color whilst others do not. It is observed that synthetic wigs irrespective of their quality fade color more quickly than natural hair wigs even if you wash them less often.
RED Notes about Dying Synthetic Wigs
- ALWAYS REMEMBER, that synthetic wigs can only be dyed darker. Therefore, begin your “dying venture” with a light colored wig. To start with, some great shades are blond, grey, and WHITE. The principle of dying synthetic wigs is “Either cover the parent color or create a new one with it”. For instance you can dye a blond wig pink or a yellow wig green by dyeing the latter blue; but a red wig can’t be made pink or yellow.
- Acrylic inks do not dissolve in water. Try using alcohol to dye synthetic wigs. Natural dyes should strictly be avoided as they turn wigs reddish though this can be prevented using dye additives. Ordinary hair dyes also behave differently on synthetic wigs as they always end up making your wigs a shade or two darker than you might have expected.
- BEFORE beginning to dye your synthetic hair wigs, WASH them off completely. Rinsing them is mandatory to get rid of any styling products and oils that might prevent effective dying of your wig.
Synthetic wigs are resilient to its shape, so no matter what how you treat them they will get back to their factory-made style and shape. Though our synthetic wigs can be temporarily curled if they are straight or vice-versa, these wigs keep memory of the style they were manufactured with, so it is natural of them to revert back to their original shape.