According to a news release; Conjunctivitis outbreak continues in Guam, US with an unabated total of 248 registered cases in the vicinity. According to the reports; both the sexes; males and females are being affected though the males slightly outnumber the females. Surprisingly; elderly and infants are being targeted alike by the virus. Poor hygiene & a careless attitude towards using colored contact lenses & cosmetics might be the source behind the virus growth.
What is Conjunctivitis & What causes it?
Conjunctivitis is an eye disease which causes inflammation at the conjunctiva- the thin layer that covers the inside of the eyelid which rests over the white area of the eye. Due to inflammation the whites of the eye develop a pink tone; and hence the condition is known as “Pink Eye Disease”. The disease is though caused by viruses, allergens, environmental pollutants, fungi, chemicals etc.; unhygienic living conditions and a careless attitude towards the use of daily articles such as towel, tissue, soaps, eye glasses, bed-linens/blankets and cosmetics may worsen the situation.
- Always wash hands with soap before touching your face and eyes.
- Sterilize the towels & the contaminated linens
- Do not share towels, pillows, eye frames & contact lenses with conjunctivitis’ infected person.
- Do not swim in the pools when infected.
Precautions to observe if you are a Contact Lens Wearer
Prevention is better than cure. If you wear colored contact lenses on regular basis; you need to stay even more vigilant. Though you might already be cleaning & disinfecting your colored contact lenses;you need to stay more active now.
- Clean, disinfect & wash your colored contact lenses by rubbing method twice a day.
- Sterilize your colored contact lens cases. Replace them if it has been more than 3 months to them
- Throw your colored contact lenses past their expiry
- Do not use cheap or homemade saline solutions to clean your colored contact lenses
- Do not share your eye drops & makeup brushes
- DO NOT ever share your colored contact lenses with ANYONE on earth; not even for the sake of fun.